db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Derby hogging CPU on startup
Date Wed, 14 Jun 2006 18:58:20 GMT

Mueller, Stephen Ng wrote:
> Hi Clive,
>
> I tried that, and it didn't seem to help.  The problem seems to be
> related to the size of my database.  As my database grows larger, it
> seems to take longer to startup.  My database consists of a single table
> with maybe a few thousand rows.  Does Derby have a maximum table size?
> If not, is there a size where the performance begins to degrade?
>
> Stephen
are you monitoring the size of files in the log directory?  This sounds
much more like recovery time on startup rather than database size.
Unless there is recovery to perform derby will not even open user tables
during startup.

If you shutdown cleanly derby will never have any recovery to do at
startup.