db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: updating copyrights in user guides
Date Mon, 12 Jun 2006 18:26:32 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:
> I'm going to make some copy-editting fixes to the user guides. While I'm
> in there, I'd like to update the copyright notices. I'm proposing to
> change the following line:
>
> "Copyright 1997, 2005 The Apache Software Foundation or its licensors,
> as applicable."

> "Copyright 1997, 2006 The Apache Software Foundation or its licensors,
> as applicable."

For the way things currently work, the 2005 shouldn't be dropped (see
http://www.apache.org/dev/apply-license.html#new), so should be:

Copyright 1997, 2005-2006 The Apache Software Foundation or its
licensors, as applicable.

> Is there anything else I should do to the copyrights given the recent
> copyright decision by the Apache board?

Apparently the html source that is distributed needs the same handling
as the source dita files and the rest of the derby code. I'm waiting for
notification to be sent to committers to see the final info, but I
believe we'll need to do this:

1) Move the copyright to the NOTICE file
2) Header of each source gets the license header as shown in [1]
3) The generated html files need the same header, see [2], so the DITA
build process needs to be tweaked (I'll add a note to DERBY-1377).

 -jean

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/200606.mbox/%3c1551070F-EDE7-40DC-9C97-79BF24E9FD59@apache.org%3e
[2]