db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Stanley Bradbury <Stan.Bradb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Derby hogging CPU on startup
Date Mon, 12 Jun 2006 16:43:47 GMT
Mueller, Stephen Ng wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using emdedded Derby for one of my applications.  After calling
> connection.open() on the database, the connection is returned promptly
> with no problem.  However, after this, my CPU usage goes to nearly
> 100%, and my computer slows down.  I can perform inserts on the
> database while this is happening, but they take a while.  Is Derby
> going through some sort of start up procedure?  Should it be taking up
> this much CPU?  It takes about a minute or so before completing, and
> my CPU usage returns to normal.  Anyone know why this is happening and
> how/if I can alleviate the problem?  FYI, I am using Derby 10.1.2.1.
>
> Thanks for the help,
> Stephen

Hi -
Upon startup Derby loads many classes as it establishes the various
caches and other DBMS management structures.  Also, Derby will process
the transaction log if the database was not shutdown cleanly at the end
of the previous boot session.

Some things you could look at: Are you using one of the JVMs Derby is
tested on?  If so the problem is probably not slow classloading.  Are
there a number of large files in the 'log' directory?  This would
indicate that a rollback needs to be performed during the startup process.