db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendle...@amberpoint.com>
Subject Re: storage requirement
Date Thu, 01 Jun 2006 15:37:29 GMT
Maryam Moazeni wrote:
> I would like ti know the storage required for DATE, TIME and TIMESTAMP.

I assume you mean the disk space storage requirement for a column
of such a type?

One simple way to figure this out is to create a table containing
a column of such a type, store a few hundred thousand rows into
that table, figure out the overall size of the table, and divide
by the number of rows.

For purposes such as this, it would probably be adequate to figure
out the overall size of the table just by using your operating system
"ls" or "dir" command on the underlying *.dat file in your seg0 folder.

thanks,

bryan