db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Thomas Dudziak" <tom...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Proposal for 10.2 release schedule
Date Mon, 26 Jun 2006 12:14:54 GMT
> Thomas Dudziak wrote:
> > On 6/22/06, Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hillegas@sun.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Last week, Sun Microsystems announced that it will bundle Derby with the
> >> next major release of the reference jdk, Java SE 6, also known as
> >> Mustang or jdk1.6. If you download the latest Mustang build, you will
> >> see that it contains our Derby snapshot in the "db" directory
> >> parallel to "lib" and "bin".
> >

> > Is this Derby or JavaDB ?
> Sun Microsystems announced that it will bundle "Java DB"
> with Mustang.
> http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060621/sfw063.html?.v=66

IMHO they definitely should put in a link to JavaDB (and perhaps
Derby) in a README in the db folder.

> >  I imagine that the Derby update
> > cycle will synchronize somewhat with the JDK update cycle,
> I doubt Derby's release cycle will synchronize with the Sun's JDK
> release. Sun's JDK is just one of many that distribute Derby technology.
> http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/UsesOfDerby

Yes, well, but how many of these bundle Derby ? And how many of them
have the 'reach' of the JDK ? I'd think that if the JDK enters the
cycle for, say, update 1, there is a strong incentive that a
Derby/JavaDB release is finished by then in order to include it in the

> > Btw, to which files does the COPYRIGHT containing an IBM copyright
> > notice refer to ? A search in the Derby sources did not bring up any
> > source copyrighted by IBM.
> The original contribution of Derby was from IBM, hence IBM has the
> copyright on all those original files. The ASF policy is not to have
> individiual copyright statements in each source file and the new policy
> (I think) is to remove the copyright statement in each source file,
> leaving just the reference to the Apache Licence in the source file.

Yeah, sure, Apache uses a Copyright license instead of a copyright
transfer. But, well, the interesting thing is that in the individual
files there is always a line like:

Copyright 2005 The Apache Software Foundation or its licensors, as applicable.

Which basically means that there is no means to distinguish the files
IBM contributed originally, and the new ones.

View raw message