db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Suavi Ali Demir <dem...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Apache Derby (in the guise of Java DB) now shipping in Sun Java SE SDK
Date Fri, 16 Jun 2006 19:10:48 GMT
Add a new column to the table, copy the data into new column, change your view (drop-create)
to start using the new column and ignore the old column in the table.
  Ali

Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter <edson.richter@mgrinformatica.com.br> wrote:
  Just curious, how could a view change datatype of one column?

AFAIK, I can create additional column into the table, then use an view
with alias to that column... But what happen if the column if part of
primary key? Or foreign key? A unique index? Then developer still need
to deal with migrating data, droping constraints, recreate, and so on.

I do prefer think on views like "views" - not an workaround for missing
(and very important) database features.

Richter