db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: 10.2.0.1 snapshot posted
Date Sat, 27 May 2006 00:33:29 GMT
Hi Rick,

On May 26, 2006, at 4:40 PM, Rick Hillegas wrote:

> Hi Craig,
>
> My snapshot instructions directed me to bump the last digit of the
> release identifier to distinguish this increment from the previous
> snapshot. That earlier snapshot was called 10.2.0.0. The zip names
> were invented by the "snapshot" target of our release scripts and
> mimic the same conventions as the March snapshot.

But the name of the distribution is db-derby-
snapshot-10.2.0.1-409481.zip so you already have the disambiguating
svn release number in the file name. My money is on a simpler name to
avoid the kind of confusion I have with 10.2.0.1.

Does this mean that the official release might actually be something
like 10.2.0.8, considering the number of cycles that we might go
through over the next several months?

I'm sure I can get used to it, but first impression is that this is
off...

Craig

> I believe that 10.1.2.1 is the latest official release and the next
> official release will be 10.1.3.x. At least the date on 10.1.2.1
> looks right to me: the community hasn't vetted a release since last
> fall. I too am puzzled by 10.1.2.2 and 10.1.2.3. Perhaps these are
> patch distributions, cut off the living, growing end of the 10.1
> branch and given to targetted customers. Can anyone else shed light
> on this?
>
> Regards,
> -Rick
>

> Craig L Russell wrote:
>
>> Hi Rick,
>>
>> One question: Why is the snapshot called 10.2.0.1 and not just
>> 10.2?  It sounds from the name like this is the first patch after
>> the  release of 10.2. I must be missing something.
>>
>> I was expecting the file to be called db-derby-
>> snapshot-10.2-409481.zip not db-derby-snapshot-10.2.0.1-409481.zip.
>>
>> I also see on the snapshots page that:
>>
>> Latest Official Release
>> 10.1.2.1 (Nov 18, 2005 / SVN 330608)
>>
>> but later on in the same page it appears that 10.1.2.2 and
>> 10.1.2.3  were released already.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Craig
>>
>> On May 26, 2006, at 2:50 PM, Rick Hillegas wrote:
>>
>>> Hello users and developers,
>>>
>>> We have posted a new snapshot of the mainline, which we expect
>>> will  evolve into the 10.2 release this fall. You may find the
>>> snapshot  at http://db.apache.org/derby/
>>> derby_downloads.html#Snapshot+Jars.  We would be grateful if you
>>> would test-drive this snapshot and post  your feedback to the
>>> community.
>>>
>>> Since the last snapshot (early March), a great deal of work has
>>> committed, including planned improvments to Scrollable Updatable
>>> ResultSets, JDBC4. and the internationalization of the network
>>> client. Many bug fixes have committed also. For more information
>>> on  the snapshot's contents, please see http://wiki.apache.org/db-
>>> derby/ TenTwoSnapshot.
>>>
>>> We also want your feedback on work which appeared in the
>>> previous  snapshot, including online backup, unary +/- on
>>> parameters, query  timeout, more configurable identity columns,
>>> more builtin  functions, and better network security.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> -Rick
>>

>> Craig Russell
>> jdo