db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Alberto Molpeceres" <alberto.molpece...@gmail.com>
Subject problem with embeded derby database and javawebstart
Date Mon, 29 May 2006 11:15:05 GMT
Hi all,

This is my first mail to the list, so, I want to say hello to all
members. Greetings from Spain :-D.

Well, we are working in a Java Web Start application that use a
database as  source of information. Till now he have do our
test&deploy in intranet enviroments, so we used a central postgres
database.

Now we have to write a internet version of our application using an
embeded database for read only data. We are trying to use derby
embeded with this database compressed in a jar file, but we are not
very lucky till now, the console reports that the database can't be
found :-(.

Database's jar is referenced in the JNLP file, and it's in the same
place as all other jars, so it shouldn't be a problem, still we
receive a:

SQL Exception: Failed to start database 'jar:(database.jar)/testDB',
see the next exception for details.
Java exception: 'No such file or directory: java.util.zip.ZipException'.
java.util.zip.ZipException: No such file or directory

Our relevant connection information is:

    databaseDriverName = "org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver";
    connectionURL = "jdbc:derby:jar:(database.jar)/testDB";

This database works fine using it as a desktop application and
referenced from it's folder in the URL, and the JWS application has
all permissions.

Any idea?. Are we missing something in the URL?. Can't a derby
database be loaded from a jar in a Java web start application?.

Thank you very much for you attention,

    al.