db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How Open Source Works (was Re: Spawning Data on Multiple Directories)
Date Fri, 05 May 2006 16:07:36 GMT
On 5/5/06, derby@segel.com <derby@segel.com> wrote:
> Yet, when user's constantly ask for features that are not currently
> implemented in Derby, they are all pointed to creating a Jira entry.

Yes, because that's the first step to working on something here, and
the last for a user without the time to get involved. Even large,
complex, architectural issues can be resolved by a single user if they
are willing and able and have enough time and support. That's what
Google's Summer of Code is all about, for example. The effort involved
in implementing the originally requested feature is unknown, since all
that's been done so far is to describe the feature. Personally, I
don't think the effort involved with what Rodrigo requested is
necessarily that large.

> It is only when someone points out that there needs to be a redesign of Derby
> to allow for a systematic approach or to discuss the ramifications of these
> requested mods that you step in and try to "control" the discussion.

I have seen neither any evidence that this user's requested feature
requires a redesign of Derby nor have I seen that anyone is trying to
control discussion about the feature. In fact, I suggested that
discussion about the feature continue on the dev list if Rodrigo was
interested in working on it and that seems to be as far as it's gone.

View raw message