db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Spawning Data on Multiple Directories
Date Thu, 04 May 2006 23:36:44 GMT
On 5/4/06, Rodrigo Madera <rodrigo.madera@gmail.com> wrote:

> What I'm asking for is available in other DBMS, where you specify how
> many bytes to store in each directory. So you can make special
> combinations on this.
>
> Indeed there is a select group of people to actually take advantage of
> such a feature.

I'd suggest filing an enhancement request in JIRA. As you point out,
there may be others who would like such a feature and if their is a
JIRA filed for it, those interested can track any progress.

> Of course, people who are playing with embedding databases in web
> pages will be concerned. In that case, turn the plugin off. People who
> upload the Derby engine in their wrist watch will like it to be small
> too... but then again, is Derby supposed to be functional? small? 100%
> Java?... Why not all of the above? Just make it modular.

Derby is somewhat modularized but could probably use some improvement
in this area. But there is a StorageFactory interface that might make
it easier for you to write support for this feature. For example, one
user wrote an all-in-memory StorageFactory:

Perhaps you could write a StorageFactory that allowed you to span
multiple disks. I don't know if that's possible, since I'm not an
expert in the store code, but at first glance it seems like it might.

> I would love to contribute on the spirit of open source and make such
> an improvement, but I just don't have time to Get To Know The Code
> (TM) first. If there was a structured and accepted plugin engine I
> would definitely invest two weekends on this.

After filing the enhancement request in JIRA, I would suggest
following up on derby-dev. You can probably get some pointers from
people knowledgable in the relevant code who could help you scope out
the project and help you determine if this is possible and something
you have time for.

Best regards,
andrew