db-derby-user mailing list archives

From David Van Couvering <David.Vancouver...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Introduction
Date Tue, 23 May 2006 17:27:35 GMT
Very interesting!

I ask this because it will be asked: how do you distinguish this (other
than it being open source and portable) from Google Desktop and the
stuff that is coming out in Windows Vista where basically your entire
filesystem is tied in with a relational database (MS SQL Server) and is
fully indexable/queryable?

David

dmclean62@comcast.net wrote:
> Hello everyone.
>
> My name is Donald McLean and I am a software engineer at the Space Telescope Science
Institute in Baltimore Maryland. I have been using Derby + Hibernate for a couple of personal
projects and have recently started using it at work. Those who frequent the Wiki may have
noticed my contibution of a simple framework that I created to simplify using Hibernate with
Derby.

> For months, I have been kicking around a number of problems that I constantly run into
and so I have started working on a small project. At Jean's encouragement, I am posting my
reasonings for starting this project below.