db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Michael Andreasen <mich...@dunlops.com>
Subject Re: HowTo use derby at a CDC device --SavaJe Jasper S20
Date Sat, 20 May 2006 21:30:33 GMT
Hi Ove,

I've been using Derby and hsqldb under CDC 1.1 for a while now, not on
the J20 (yet!) but using J9 on Pocket PC 2003. I have really given up on
both of them as the memory footprint is just too big on both. You need
to 8-16 meg on both for them to really operate properly. Nether will
load a 20,000 row table with one index in 8 meg including your app,
that's just doing the inserts, never mind starting to do queries!

However, I have just the other day discovered db4o... wow this is
something else! the best bit of software I have seen since google earth.
It's not an SQL database it's an Object database. Rather than me harping
on about it here, take a look for yourself, it's simply amazing.

http://www.db4o.com

I now have my application working great, it's faster, easier and handles
even bigger tables... and currently all in under 3 meg.

It does take a bit of getting used to, as they is no joins. But once you
do, there is no going back!

Let me know what you think?