db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Stanley Bradbury <Stan.Bradb...@gmail.com>
Subject Request for comments on deciding between implementing embedded or client-server - (was: [WWD] Review of Final Chapters (5 and 6))]
Date Thu, 04 May 2006 00:02:16 GMT
Starting New thread from the following :

Craig L Russell wrote:

> Hi Stan,
>
> When you get around to discussing architecture issues, you might make
> sure you get feedback from the derby experts. My understanding is
> that you can use the embedded Derby with both same-vm clients and
> outside-vm clients by starting the network server when you start the
> embedded database.
>
> Craig
>
> On May 3, 2006, at 2:21 PM, Stanley Bradbury wrote:
>
>> John Embretsen wrote:
>>
>>>  === SNIP ===
>>>
>>> <quote 1 from "Activity notes", p.6 (8)>
>>> A client program is often created to allow database access and
>>> updates from multiple computers on the network.
>>> </quote>
>>>
>>> I don't think this statement is correct. It is not the "client
>>> program" that allows access from multiple computers, it is the
>>> server framework that does this. Would you like to rephrase?
>>>

>>> <quote 2 from "Activity notes", p.6 (8)>
>>> Derby's two architectures have caused confusion for some new Derby
>>> users. They mistakenly think that embedded is a single user
>>> configuration. Not true. The embedded driver supports multiple
>>> simultaneous connections, performs locking and provides
>>> performance, integrity and recoverability.
>>> </quote>
>>>
>>> I think this is still confusing. I think you should add a comment
>>> saying that the embedded driver must *not* be used to access the
>>> same database from more than one JVM simultaneously. The multi- user
>>> capabilities you are describing are (as far as I know) only  valid
>>> if all users use the same JVM/Derby system (i.e. the same  instance
>>> of the embedded driver), or if no users using different  JVMs/Derby
>>> systems access the same database at the same time.
>>>

>> Hi John -
>> Thanks again for your attention and feedback.  Both suggestions are
>> well taken. The sentence about the reason to create a client  program
>> is not well constructed and is inaccurate.  I also see that  it does
>> not carry the message I intended and I will rephrase it.
>> The other note is what I think of as an 'endorsement of the  embedded
>> architecture'.  I included it to get people thinking /  questioning
>> along the lines you are, I have been successful in that  regard.  I
>> think it an important endorsement to make because I have  seen many
>> people new to Derby avoid embedded without really  thinking it
>> through.  It is my sense that the copious warnings  about 'double
>> booting' scares them away from embedded.  After  working with Derby
>> for awhile these people see that the embedded  driver fully supports
>> their need and is a cleaner and faster  implementation.  I wanted to
>> plant that seed of an idea.
>>
>> It is arguable that the topic does not belong in an introductory
>> document at all because it deals with system architecture as well  as
>> the specific meaning of terms like 'single-user', 'client- server',
>> 'networking' and 'interprocess communication'.  Clearing  up the
> [...]
Hi Craig -
You are correct. There is what has been termed the 'embedded server'
architecture as well but this is well out of the scope of a introductory
document like WWD.

However, since I hope to spin-off a thread discussing the various
implementation architectures then 'embedded server' should be include.
And thanks for the suggestion on including derby-dev - even though this
is an implementation architecture issue (hence more germane to
derby-user) I think there are derby-dev people who will want to
participate.   I have sent an invite to join this new thread to
derby-dev (I think this topic is worth the cross-post).