db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Stanley Bradbury <Stan.Bradb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Spawning Data on Multiple Directories
Date Wed, 03 May 2006 22:13:08 GMT
Rodrigo Madera wrote:

> In that case, what about a proposal for the development team to allow
> such one-database-multiple-directories architectural improvements?
>
> Depending on the OS to mount several devices (or directories) into a
> parent one is not something trivial. And the gain in having such
> flexibility is a sure winner.
>
> Rodrigo

===== SNIP ===
Hi Rodrigo -

It's not clear to me why you want this capability built into the DBMS
engine.  Derby has managed to maintain a very small footprint by
carefully weighing the benefit of adding new features and generally only
implementing capabilities that are not available by utilizing existing
technologies.   It seems that your request might be able to be handled
by OS configuration.  If the goal of this is spreading I/O over multiple
spindles (e.g. performance) then RAID arrays and disk-striping are good
technologies to implement.  If none of these options meet your need then
I recommend filing a feature request for DERBY in JIRA.  Be sure to
explain the need and benefit of having the new feature.

HTH