db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Bosman" <stevebos...@gmail.com>
Subject How should trailing spaces be treated in key fields
Date Wed, 03 May 2006 21:27:56 GMT
Hi,
The application I'm writing is copying records from an Oracle database
to a Derby database and today I have been getting error 23505 (showing
a primary key constraint violation) when two records have a key value
differing by a trailing space, e.g. one record has the value 'treat 3'
in one of its key fields and the other record has the value 'treat 3 '
in the same key field. Can anyone tell me if this the correct Derby
behaviour and I'll have to learn to live with it of if this is a bug.

thanks

Steve