db-derby-user mailing list archives

From <de...@segel.com>
Subject RE: How Open Source Works (was Re: Spawning Data on Multiple Directories)
Date Thu, 04 May 2006 19:49:39 GMT

Jean,

Your subject line is a tad dangerous.

While Apache is "open source", it is only one model of OpenSource.
There's Eclipse, the Linux Kernel, and individual apps under GPL like
Dovecot that all have different models of control over the opensource.

But since you're both a member of Apache and IBM, lets focus on the three
individual groups: IBM, SUN and Apache since they all have a vested
interest.

First and foremost, being open source and being a commercial product are not
mutually exclusive. (Sendmail, Dovecot, MySQL and of course Derby prove
this...)

Derby is both an "open source" database, along with a "commercial" product.
Note that both IBM and SUN are selling support for Cloudscape and JavaDB
respectively. Both pledge to keep the codestreams consistent with Derby
which implies that any "fixes" made by IBM or Sun will be placed back in to
the public eye.

Now your comments regarding Apache being a "volunteer" based approach to
software development...

That again is not mutually exclusive, of having either IBM or Sun step up
and "volunteer" some of their resources that are supporting Cloudscape /
JavaDB and to help "direct" the future architect of Derby.

And that's the point.

The amount of resources required to drive any major restructuring of Derby's
framework would require the involvement of a corporation stepping up and
"volunteering" the services of their employees. (Hmmm. Come to think of it,
you're an IBM employee... ;-)

The point of my postings is that such an endeavor is more than just a single
Jira issue it would actually encompass several issues. It would also have a
major impact on existing Derby/Cloudscape implementations... Since both IBM
and Sun are selling support services, they both have a vested interest in
the future development of Derby.

So, it again appears that you fail to grasp the situation and how software
is developed.

I am kind of shocked that you don't realize the importance of identifying
stakeholders and aligning your ideas to their needs. That's consulting 101,
or actually software development 101.

Specifically to this situation, both IBM and Sun hold potential resources
that have the necessary skills to drive this sort of redesign. And since
this *is* Apache, these resources, could not even "volunteer" on an
individual level without first gaining the approval of their employer.

So, rather than add constructive input, you seem to detract from the issue
at hand.

This is not the first post from users of Derby who want advanced features.
Rather than look at each feature individually, its important to see the
larger picture.

So why don't you focus on that?

But hey! What do I know?
Its not like I've worked for Informix/IBM, or ran my own shop. ;-)