db-derby-user mailing list archives

From <de...@segel.com>
Subject RE: Spawning Data on Multiple Directories
Date Thu, 04 May 2006 15:15:09 GMT

[mjs]
Well,

Why stop at "multiple directories"?

Not to get on a soap box, but what Rodrigo is asking for is the ability to
create chunks or table spaces on either cooked or raw file system space.
(Each chunk could be allocated on different disks/filesystems/etc...)

The crux is that such a design will increase the footprint, and limit
Derby's viability in certain niche markets. Heck, just the other day,
someone was touting a url to someone who embedded Derby in to a web page...

This goes back to the larger issue is the need to consider a look at
redesigning Derby's framework to allow for options to be installed/removed
at the time of deployment. (And there are some headaches even there too...)

The point is that Derby is growing in popularity and certain larger issues
than just quick fixes that can be addressed in a single JIRA issue need to
be addressed.

Of course, what do I know? ;-)

I'm just a voice in cyber space. I no longer work for the blue pig nor do I
work for Sun. Both heavy weights in Derby and both have their own agendas.
What is being asked, will require the deep pockets of either or both
companies. My bet is on Sun. IBM is still digesting the Informix vs DB2
issue and adding Derby to the mix is not in their best interest. (At least
on the surface. ;-)

-Gumby

> Depending on the OS to mount several devices (or directories) into a
> parent one is not something trivial. And the gain in having such
> flexibility is a sure winner.
>
> Rodrigo
>
> On 5/3/06, Mike Matrigali <mikem_app@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > The data of a single database can only be in a single directory in
> > the current derby implementation, spreading that data across multiple
> > devices is left to the OS.  The log can be placed on
> > a separate disk.

[SNIP]