db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Ryan Bobko" <r...@ostrich-emulators.com>
Subject Re: Updating Embedded Derby Db
Date Thu, 25 May 2006 16:57:06 GMT
I usually have a version table in my database that only contains one
row--what version of the schema I'm using. Then, when then application
first opens the database connection, I query the table to see if I need
to upgrade the schema. Since I know what the tables used to look like in
the old application and what they need to look like in the new
application, upgrading has been pretty painless.

ry

> Hi,
>

> I'm fairly new to Derby and am wondering if there is a way to update an
> embedded database programatically? By update, I mean adding new tables and
> adding columns to one or two of the existing tables.
>

> Several months ago I wrote a stand-alone pricing/ordering application
which
> was distributed on CD.  The client recently requested some changes which
> involve the schema changes mentioned above.  The app will be redistributed
> on CD once the changes are complete.
>

> The problem: The updated database I will provide contains no data.
Customer