db-derby-user mailing list archives

From dmclea...@comcast.net
Subject Introduction
Date Sun, 21 May 2006 17:53:51 GMT
Hello everyone.

My name is Donald McLean and I am a software engineer at the Space Telescope Science Institute
in Baltimore Maryland. I have been using Derby + Hibernate for a couple of personal projects
and have recently started using it at work. Those who frequent the Wiki may have noticed my
contibution of a simple framework that I created to simplify using Hibernate with Derby.

For months, I have been kicking around a number of problems that I constantly run into and
so I have started working on a small project. At Jean's encouragement, I am posting my reasonings
for starting this project below.

I think that this project is a good use for Hibernate + Derby. I have already
started working on it and plan on contributing it to Apache. I would be
interested in hearing the thoughts of other members of the Derby community.

Take care,

Donald
Why LifeCache?

In our modern information driven society, I find myself often unable
to locate information that I need and that I have. It may be in an email
that I forgot to file or that is not filed in the folder that I expected
it to be in or perhaps I need a document on my office computer - or my
home computer.

Whatever the cause, I need a new way to store, manage and organize the
constant flow of information that I want - or need - to keep track of.

Specific cases for LifeCache:

When I read POP email, it gets downloaded to the computer that I read it
on - but I need to be able to move it, or at least access it, on other
computers.

My email account is getting full, but if I download it to one computer
I won't be able to access it on any other computers.

My email account is getting full in part because there are obsolete
emails filling it up. I want to be able to mark emails so that they
will automatically come up for review on a periodic basis, on a
certain date or after a certain event has occurred.

A new guy has been assigned to my project and I have a collection of
documents, notes, callendar entries and emails that he will want to
have access to. I want to push a button and grant him access to them -
or give him the option to download the whole batch to his computer.

I have a long email discussing several topics. I want to be able to
associate it with all of those topics without having more than one
copy of it.

I have an email with a text part and a large attachment. I want to be able
to keep everything EXCEPT for the attachment.

I have all this information that is related - except that it is scattered
amongst text documents, HTML documents, PDF documents, emails, chat logs.......

I want change tracking for something that isn't a Microsoft Word document.
Maybe it's an email, maybe it's a text document.

I don't trust someone else to store my data but now that I have hundreds
gigabytes in disk space and high-speed internet access, why should I
need to?