db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Thomas J. Taylor" <thomas.tay...@itqa.miami.edu>
Subject RE: Introduction
Date Tue, 23 May 2006 22:07:14 GMT
Hi Donald,

I've seen other "Personal Information Management (PIM)" hardware and
software, most recently and notably Palm's LifeDrive
(http://www.palm.com/us/products/mobilemanagers/lifedrive/). I've also seen
other USB-based PIMs that embed a small executable along with a
(proprietary) database - mostly in the realm of 'personal medical records'.

There's a list of links on "Who's working on Personal Information
Management?" (July 2003) at:
http://www.iis.ee.ic.ac.uk/~rick/pim.htm

Thomas

-----Original Message-----
From: dmclean62@comcast.net [mailto:dmclean62@comcast.net]
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 5:46 PM
To: Derby Discussion
Subject: Re: Introduction

That is a good question, Dave.

First of all, I'll be blunt, I don't necessarily trust either Google or
Microsoft.

Second, though searchable is certainly a good idea, it isn't browseable. For
really old stuff, I might not be able to remember any sufficiently distinct
criteria in order to be able to find what I'm looking for.

On the desktop and in desktop apps, tools for filing and managing
information objects are all one-dimensional.

Also, the desktop search approach does not break apart information that is
only together because it comes from the same source. Mail messages are still
stored in mailbox files, documents in some arbitrary folder.

Am I making any sense here?

Thanks,

Donald

From: David Van Couvering <David.Vancouvering@Sun.COM>