db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Carol Gloyd" <cgl...@tamzen.com>
Subject Updating Embedded Derby Db
Date Thu, 25 May 2006 13:10:00 GMT
Hi,

I'm fairly new to Derby and am wondering if there is a way to update an
embedded database programatically? By update, I mean adding new tables and
adding columns to one or two of the existing tables.

Several months ago I wrote a stand-alone pricing/ordering application which
was distributed on CD.  The client recently requested some changes which
involve the schema changes mentioned above.  The app will be redistributed
on CD once the changes are complete.

The problem: The updated database I will provide contains no data.  Customer
A receives the updated application, but already has data in her current
database, and cannot just overwrite with the "empty" updated database.  I
need to create what amounts to a "1-click" method for the customer to update
the database without losing any of the current data.  Is there existing code
or other information that could help me with this?

Hope this makes sense!

Thanks,

Carol