>>From the getstartderby.pdf:
"You need to set your PATH environment variable so the JVM and Java applications run
correctly. This is extremely important for the success of your installation because the
PATH variable enables your operating system to find the appropriate programs from any
directory. If you have more than one JVM installed, the JVM you want to use must appear
before any of the others in the PATH variable.
To check the PATH environment variable:
  1. In a command window, type the following:
      java -version
      If the path is set correctly, you will see a printout telling you the version of your JVM.
  2. If the command does not return the correct version of your JVM, set the PATH
      variable by adding the bin subdirectory of the JVM directory to the beginning of the
      path.
      For example, if the directory is C:\JDK1.4, add C:\JDK1.4\bin to the beginning
      of the path.
  3. Repeat step 1 to make sure the PATH environment variable is set correctly."

command
java -version
results in (I'm on Linux, Fedora Core 4):
"
$ java -version
java version "1.4.2"
gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.0.0 20050519 (Red Hat 4.0.0-8)

This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
"
In my /usr/java I have the folders
j2sdk1.4.2_09
jdk1.5.0_04
jre1.5.0_04

but I have no JAVA_HOME when I
echo $JAVA_HOME

>2. If the command does not return the correct version of your JVM, set the PATH
      >variable by adding the bin subdirectory of the JVM directory to the beginning of the
      >path.
How do manage #2? /dan