db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: derby exception
Date Sat, 22 Apr 2006 06:35:18 GMT
On 4/20/06, shashanka tilak <shashankatilak@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I get the following exception when I run the program. I did not jar the
> compiled classes. The classes are in exploded directory structure.  A new
> directory "derbyDB\log" was created. And derby.log shows the following
> exception. I would really appreciate if someone can give explanation.
>
> Thank you.
>
> 2006-04-17 16:06:58.625 GMT Thread[main,5,main] Cleanup action starting
> java.lang.NullPointerException
>  at
> org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.log.LogToFile.getFirstLogNeeded(LogToFile.java:2103)

At this point in the code, a log file is expected to be in the log
directory, but from your comments the log file has not been created.
Do you have the correct permissions to read/write to the directory? Is
the disk full?

>From the exception you're getting, it would seem that uselessLogFile
is null, thus the call to getPath() throws a NullPointerException.
It's not quite clear to me how this could happen, but perhaps someone
more familiar with the store code could answer that question.

andrew