db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: insert BLOB with Derby tools
Date Thu, 20 Apr 2006 05:44:41 GMT
On 4/14/06, Oleg Zenzin <ozenzin@lohika.com> wrote:
> I need to execute some
> SQL script that will insert data, let's say from file, into a field of
> BLOB type. There are tools in DB2, MS_SQL or Oracle which usually use
> some built-in functions or tools and help to execute SQL insert with
> BLOB, but no such thing in Derby.
>
> I need to execute sql like
>
> INSERT INTO items (uri, content_type, data) values
> ('unique_url_used_as_key', 'application/xml', BLOB);
>
> Is there anything providing this funcionality (except OJB)?

It's not clear to me, are you trying to insert the entire XML document
into the BLOB? Or just the content (and not the markup)?

If you want to insert the entire XML document, there is limited
support for XML types in Derby, try searching the
derby-dev@db.apache.org mailing list for how to use it.

If you want to insert data/content from inside an XML documentinto a
blob, that is currently outside the scope of Derby's import procedure
as it doesn't handle inserting into a BLOB (see
SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_IMPORT_DATA in the docs).

andrew