db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "David W. Van Couvering" <David.Vancouver...@Sun.COM>
Subject Future of Derby (was Re: Can derby instances be clustered ?)
Date Wed, 26 Apr 2006 17:03:57 GMT
I think this is a great question, Michael.  Derby clearly differentiates
today in its nature as lightweight, embeddable, easy to use and secure,
while still being fully functional.

But I think we're going to see more and more "big" users wanting "big"
features from it.  Do we Just Say No?  Is there a way to architect Derby
to handle larger deployments while still staying true to its roots?

At a high level one could argue that features like replication and
clustering, with the right level of effort and intention, can be made
"pluggable", and can be "unplugged" using the module architecture so
these features are not available and the classes are not even in the
footprint when you want to use Derby as a lightweight database.

If anyone *were* to propose introducing such high-end features, the
community would, I would hope, look long and hard at how its built to
try to ensure that the impact on the "core" is minimal.

David

P.S. Michael: why do you always say "hey, what do I know?"  We should
call you Michael Wadduino Segel :)