db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Suresh Thalamati <suresh.thalam...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: derby exception
Date Tue, 25 Apr 2006 00:47:34 GMT
shashanka tilak wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a new user of derby. I would like to learn and contribute for this
> project. I successfully compiled the derby source and I tried to run the
> SimpleApp.java provided as demo for starting derby in embedded mode.
> But, I get the following exception when I run the program. I did not jar
> the compiled classes. The classes are in exploded directory structure.
> A new directory "derbyDB\log" was created. And derby.log shows the
> following exception. I would really appreciate if someone can give
> explanation.
>
> Thank you.
>
> 2006-04-17 16:06:58.625 GMT Thread[main,5,main] Cleanup action starting
> java.lang.NullPointerException
>  at
> org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.log.LogToFile.getFirstLogNeeded(LogToFile.java:2103)

....<snip>

Was there any other error from the program or in the derby.log. The
NPE is not the real problem, as u see from the stack it is coming from
the shutdown as part of cleanup. NPE is just a side effect of  some
other error.

First thing, I would check is, if there is enough space on the disk ?
What JVM/OS are you using to run the demo ?

Thanks.
-suresh