db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject [web] site structure updated
Date Fri, 14 Apr 2006 19:47:36 GMT
I checked in a change to the web site that partially addresses issues
that Dan Debrunner and Michelle Caisse raised. You'll need to refresh
pages in your browser to see these changes.

Here's a summary of the basic changes:

(1) The "Quick Links" subcategory on the home tab should autoexpand but
can't.

A forrest feature (FOR-339) will support this but isn't implemented yet.
The resolution is to not have a Quick Links subcategory on the home tab,
just a simple list.

(2) A "Quick Start" entry on the home tab and its own tab is disconcerting.

I agree and the resolution is to remove the link from the home tab -- it
isn't needed because the home page also links to it.

(3) Links on the home tab that are repeated on other tabs (for example,
a license link was on the Download tab and an FAQs link was on the
Community tab) cause a jump back to the home tab when the page is selected.

I agree this behavior is jarring, but don't see a way to avoid it. The
best near-term solution is to not repeat links across tabs and to choose
carefully where those links should appear. I think "license" and "FAQs"
both need increased visibility, so left them on the home tab. I also
left "Derby Wiki" on the home tab because the Community tab has quite a
few items.

(4) Offsite links should open in a new window.
I haven't figured out a way to do that in the forrest menu, but am able
to in the body of a page; for example, the document links on
http://db.apache.org/derby/manuals/index.html open in a new window.

The best resolution for now is to remove those links, but for another
reason as well: keep the number of items on the home tab few enough that
people will notice what's there.

Michelle also noted that on the download tab if you click on 10.1.2.1,
the forrest menu collapses instead of highlighting 10.1.2.1. I haven't
figured this one out yet, but suspect it has something to do with the
file type (cgi).

I should mention that some of the things I haven't figured out how to do
might in fact be possible in forrest, but I just haven't found the right
information yet.

Thanks for all the feedback -- and please keep it coming.

regards,

 -jean