db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Can A Function or procedure return multiple values !!
Date Thu, 13 Apr 2006 17:45:09 GMT
Rajesh Kartha wrote:

> Hi Dheeraj,
>
> There could be other ways, but one that I could think of, would be to
> convert the
> Object[] into byte[]  (using ByteArrayOutputStream and ObjectOutputStream)
> in your myclass.myProcedureMethod().
>
> the function definition will have to modified to use
>
> RETURNS LONG VARCHAR FOR BIT DATA

I don't think this will work with LONG VARCHAR FOR BIT DATA. Derby may
allow a function to be defined using a return type of LONG VARCHAR FOR
BIT DATA or BLOB but I think it fails at runtime. As part of DEBRY-438
I've started looking at the BLOB issue.

Also the correct Java type for LONG VARCHAR FOR BIT DATA is
java.io.InputStream and not byte[].

This trick may work with VARCHAR FOR BIT DATA, but then you would be
limited to arounf 32k of bytes.

Dan.