db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rajesh Kartha <karth...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [comp.lang.java.databases] Using Apache Derby in Tomcat application
Date Thu, 06 Apr 2006 18:49:35 GMT
>So, can anyone help me understand how to add the DataSource resource and
>JNDI entry somewhere just local to the app itself. I'm trying to put
>this information into WEB-INF/web.xml, but I'm not sure this is
>possible. Any thoughts?

To use the JNDI lookup for a datasource with Tomcat, the 'common/lib' is
the only place to put the jar file, see

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-4.1-doc/jndi-datasource-examples-howto.html

Just a thought, but instead of using JNDI to get a Datasource, would
creating an EmbeddedDataSource directly and passing it
to the needed methods  (that need a DataSource object ) work for you ?

This way, the derby.jar could sit in theWEB-INF/lib to be made local to
the application.

Example:
            EmbeddedDataSource oxds1=new EmbeddedDataSource();
            oxds1.setDatabaseName("adb");
            oxds1.setConnectionAttributes("create=true");
            getConn(oxds1); //pass it to the needed methods that takes a
java.sql.DataSource as the param
}
         private static void getConn(DataSource ds) {
          //get Connection and do work
        }

-Rajesh