db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Michelle Caisse <Michelle.Cai...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [comp.lang.java.databases] Using Apache Derby in Tomcat application
Date Thu, 06 Apr 2006 17:01:58 GMT
Hi John,

I'm just learning about these things myself, but I think that since you
want Derby embedded into your app, you don't want to create a jdbc JNDI
resource.  You can just invoke the Derby embedded driver directly from
your application.  If you do this, placing the driver in the
application's lib dir should work fine and you have no Tomcat
configuration to do.

As Lance mentioned in our earlier conversation, if you configure Derby
to be accessed by JNDI, the container itself has to have access to the
Derby driver and you must place it in common/lib, not the applications
lib dir.

-- Michelle