db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Michael Segel" <mse...@segel.com>
Subject RE: Can derby instances be clustered ?
Date Wed, 26 Apr 2006 13:05:35 GMT

Derby is a very good, lightweight, general purpose, pure java relational
database.

Having said that, I think it's important to choose the right tool for the
right job.

Derby has its historical roots as a lightweight database. It lacks certain
features that are found in Informix or DB2 that would make clustering or
high availability viable. (Data Warehouseing too for that matter.)

To look at using Derby in situations where you would want to implement a
cluster, or some form of high availability, high performance scenario, would
not be a good idea. Its "possible" but not practical.

But your question brings us to a point  of asking a critical question...
"What is the future direction of Derby?"
And this is a loaded question. Do you keep Derby lightweight so that it can
be embedded in to web apps or small lightweight tasks; Or do you add
features that will increase the size and complexity of Derby, but allow it
to compete with proprietary databases like Sybase, Oracle, Informix, DB2,
etc ...

This is a design issue that needs to be addressed by Sun, IBM, Apache and,
of course the user community at large.

I think that for Derby to survive in the long run, it needs to determine its
niche and then strive to be the best in that niche.

But hey! What do I know?
I'm just some developer who has his own opinions and vision of the future.
;-)