db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Anders Morken <ander...@stud.ntnu.no>
Subject Re: PATH (newbie) problems...
Date Wed, 05 Apr 2006 11:59:11 GMT
John Embretsen:
> I'm sure it does, but if you then run these scripts several times without
> un-setting the CLASSPATH in between, you will end up with a rather long and
> messy CLASSPATH, which may cause unexpected errors down the road. Each
> invocation of the setNetworkServerCP.ksh _adds_ derby.jar, derbytools.jar
> and derbynet.jar to the CLASSPATH.

No, a change in the environment of a process does not affect the
environment of it's parent process. So, if you run
startNetworkServer.ksh as a regular script (which will execute in a
separate process), it will not affect the CLASSPATH of your shell

However, on Windows with cmd and .BAT files you'll see the effect you
describe. =)

Anders Morken

My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right!

View raw message