db-derby-user mailing list archives

From dan <...@elvberg.com>
Subject PATH (newbie) problems...
Date Tue, 04 Apr 2006 19:32:29 GMT
>>From the getstartderby.pdf:
"You need to set your PATH environment variable so the JVM and Java
applications run
correctly. This is extremely important for the success of your
installation because the
PATH variable enables your operating system to find the appropriate
programs from any
directory. If you have more than one JVM installed, the JVM you want to
use must appear
before any of the others in the PATH variable.
To check the PATH environment variable:
  1. In a command window, type the following:
      java -version
      If the path is set correctly, you will see a printout telling you
the version of your JVM.
  2. If the command does not return the correct version of your JVM, set
the PATH
      variable by adding the bin subdirectory of the JVM directory to
the beginning of the
      path.
      For example, if the directory is C:\JDK1.4, add C:\JDK1.4\bin to
the beginning
      of the path.
  3. Repeat step 1 to make sure the PATH environment variable is set
correctly."

command
java -version
results in (I'm on Linux, Fedora Core 4):
"
$ java -version
java version "1.4.2"
gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.0.0 20050519 (Red Hat 4.0.0-8)

This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is
NO
PURPOSE.
"
In my /usr/java I have the folders
j2sdk1.4.2_09
jdk1.5.0_04
jre1.5.0_04

but I have no JAVA_HOME when I
echo $JAVA_HOME

>2. If the command does not return the correct version of your JVM, set
the PATH
      >variable by adding the bin subdirectory of the JVM directory to
the beginning of the
      >path.
How do manage #2? /dan