db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: How to find master record primary key to use it in inserting details records
Date Thu, 13 Apr 2006 17:10:30 GMT
Hi Legolas,

If you're using JDBC, you can use the Statement.getGeneratedKeys()
method. You define the master table with the primary key column being
IDENTITY. You insert a row using Statement.execute(), call
getGeneratedKeys, and the ResultSet returned from the method contains
the value of the IDENTITY primary key you just inserted.

Craig

On Apr 12, 2006, at 12:39 AM, Legolas Woodland wrote:

> Hi
> Thank you for reading my post
> I have two tables which are related to eachother using a column
> (master details)
> my problem is that master table primary key is auto increment
> so when i insert a recoed to it i can not determine the primary key
> value
> so i do not know the key ,
> Now my problem is that how i can find the primary key of master
> record to use it when i inert
> details records ?
> I should say that it is a very high hit application , before i post
> this message i though that i can execute a query and select latest
> inserted record
> but latest inserted record could be from another user not the
> current user.
> Thanks

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com