db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Piet Blok" <pbh...@wanadoo.nl>
Subject Re: DRDA_InvalidReplyTooShort.S:Invalid reply from network server: Insufficient data.
Date Sun, 02 Apr 2006 09:23:32 GMT
The mechanisme I described attempts to ensure that one and only one Network
Server will become active, even if, in multiple JVM's (on the same machine)
an attempt is made to start a server. The design goal is to enable any
application to request that a Network Server is available. If there was no
Network Server ready , a Server is launched in a separate JVM and the
application waits until that Server, or any other server, is ready.

(About a half year ago there was a long running thread in this forum on how
to start a server on the fly and wait for it to become ready, that intrigued
me)

Yes, all sorts of problems, like port in use, arise, but the mechanisme is
designed to detect these situations and cope with them. There will be only
one winner that will serve all others. The loosers just die.

The problem I described does not always occurr. In fact it only happended
once when simultaneously trying to start 30 servers. Other stress attempts,
including starting 100 servers, worked just fine.

I will try to implement a capture of the winning Server err and out streams
in order to provide the requested information when the problem occurrs
again.

Thanks very much for your answer.

Kind regards,

Piet Blok