db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Dag.Wan...@Sun.COM (Dag H. Wanvik)
Subject Re: How does derby store multilingual data since NVARCHAR has been removed?
Date Tue, 28 Mar 2006 03:09:51 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner <djd@apache.org> writes:

> To be a little more precise, the only character set for Derby's
> character strings is Unicode. All characters stored in a CHAR, VARCHAR
> or CLOB datatype are Unicode characters with Unicode code points.

Btw, is it not limited to BMP (basic multilingual plane) characters?
All unicode characters can no longer be represented in 16 bits
(supplementary characters since Unicode 3.1 - code points above
U+FFFF). I guess since this was only added to Java in 1.5 (which
supports Unicode 4.0), Derby does not currently handle such
supplementary characters?

http://www.unicode.org/glossary/
http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/Intl/Supplementary/

Dag