db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Paul DeCoursey" <p...@decoursey.net>
Subject Issue creating db
Date Wed, 08 Mar 2006 19:10:38 GMT
I built a web application that is using an Embeded Derby DB.  It works
fine on my development and Test environments, Dev is a Mac OSX
workstation and test is a Windows XP workstation.  But when I install on
the production server, Linux of some sort, it fails. I get this error:

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Failed to create database
'/home/commrcha/chan/db', see the next exception for details.
	at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:254)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:295)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:241)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:247)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:256)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
	at
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:995)
	at
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
	at
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:995)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.invoke(StandardContext.java:2422)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:180)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
	at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorDispatcherValve.invoke(ErrorDispatcherValve.java:171)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:641)
	at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:163)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:641)
	at
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:995)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:174)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
	at
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:995)
	at org.apache.ajp.tomcat4.Ajp13Processor.process(Ajp13Processor.java:457)
	at org.apache.ajp.tomcat4.Ajp13Processor.run(Ajp13Processor.java:576)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)

I don't have access to the logs to see if there was any more info than
that. Checking around in the mailing list I thought maybe it was a
similar issue to what the file sync thing that OSX had, which I've never
experienced on 10.3, but setting the fileSync property doesn't seem to
work.

I also thought maybe it was file permissions, the owner of the files are
different than that user that tomcat is running as.  There is no was to
change that and still have the security and access I need. The
permissions on the specific directory that the db should be created in
are wide open, the server can write and read to it for other types of
files without issue. I'm not sure if it's having trouble writing
derby.log, I'm not sure even where that would write to on this server.
It would not surprise me if that was not allowed because of permissions.
 Is there a way to set the location of that file? or just have it not
exist at all?  I couldn't find anything in the docs.

Any help would be great, I'm looking like quite an ass for my client
right now, and I don't feel I can tell them to find a different provider.

Paul