db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Philippe Lamote <phlam...@mac.com>
Subject running Mode config
Date Wed, 22 Mar 2006 11:37:02 GMT
Hi List,

I think I have a typical "development" setup config question for Derby.
In "production", obviously running Derby in embedded mode has the
advantage it can run in the same JVM, which is better, security/
performance wise, that over the network.
BUT during development one often wishes to follow, with an external
client (like DBVisualizer, Aqua Data Studio - both of which are Java
Apps), what the code does to the DB.
(and possibly interact)

Therefore, what I tried is:
1/ In an application properties file I keep the default parameters
for Derby. (Default = in production e.g. ConnDriver = the embedded
driver)
But it also keeps a "runningMode"="development" | "production" value.
If its value is "development", in the application init method, some
values are overwritten: cf 2/

2/ In the App init method is an if-clause thet sets/overwrites these
settings in case the "runningMode" is "development":

	- ConnURL = "jdbc:derby://localhost:1527/"+ derbyHome;
	- System.getProperties().put("derby.drda.startNetworkServer","true");
	- added: try{
			NetworkServerControl server = new NetworkServerControl
(InetAddress.getByName("localhost"),1527);
			server.start(null);}
			catch (Exception e) { e.printStackTrace();
			}
	- driver to use is set to org.apache.derby.jdbc.ClientDriver

 From the Derby doc I understand firing off the Server keep it
running, also beyond main(), until you manually fire a shutdown command.
--> I thought this would allow me to connect via a Java DB app and
never having to do any extra config apart from setting this
runningMode variable in the properties file. (or with Spring, as you
wish)

Yet , I get this exception:

An error occured while establishing the connection.
    Type: org.apache.derby.client.am.DisconnectException   Error
Code: -4499
Message:
    java.security.PrivilegedActionException : Error opening socket to
server localhost on port 1527 with message : null

(using the ClientDriver, Login/Passw = APP/) I tried providing a
password anyway ("key") and also this passw in the DB viewer app,
without any effect though.

So the questions I have, are:
- I feel setting "derby.drda.startNetworkServer" to "true" AND
issuing the "new NetworkServerControl(...)" are doing twice the same
and that I can (as in: would better!) drop one of them. Is this correct?
- Is the driver the app itself has to use to connect to the DB, after
firing the Network Server: the ClientDriver, or the EmbeddedDriver?
The doc got me confused about this.
- Any suggestions as to how to make this work properly? :-) It looks
like either the Server has shutdown already when I use the DB app
(although the server was started and not shutdown that I know of), or
that I need a password (thought this was never necessary, unless you
explicitely set "authentication" somewhere)

Thanks for suggestions,
Philippe