db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: advice for client/server application
Date Fri, 24 Mar 2006 02:47:30 GMT
David W. Van Couvering wrote:

> Yes, I see what you're saying, you're rewriting JDBC extended with file
> transfer.
>
> You could take the Derby source and extend it so that you can do file
> transfer functionality, but then you're stuck with your own fork of
> JDBC.  And I'm sorry to say that the Derby community would likely not
> accept your changes back (someone correct me if I'm wrong) because there
> would be non-standard extensions to JDBC, and we strive to be
> standards-compliant as a community.

I'm not so sure, some pluggable api that would allow additional
communication over the same tcp/ip connection seems like an interesting
direction. Innovation around open source. I think Oracle has some way of
passing async events back to the client over the JDBC connection.

> Personally, I would just open two connections: one for JDBC work and one
> for file transfer.  Keep them separate.

That may be the simpler approach.

Dan.