db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: running Mode config
Date Thu, 23 Mar 2006 22:36:38 GMT
Philippe Lamote wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I think I have a typical "development" setup config question for Derby.
> In "production", obviously running Derby in embedded mode has the
> advantage it can run in the same JVM, which is better,
> security/performance wise, that over the network.
> BUT during development one often wishes to follow, with an external
> client (like DBVisualizer, Aqua Data Studio - both of which are Java
> Apps), what the code does to the DB.
> (and possibly interact)
>
> Therefore, what I tried is:
> 1/ In an application properties file I keep the default parameters for
> Derby. (Default = in production e.g. ConnDriver = the embedded driver)
> But it also keeps a "runningMode"="development" | "production" value.
> If its value is "development", in the application init method, some
> values are overwritten: cf 2/
>
> 2/ In the App init method is an if-clause thet sets/overwrites these
> settings in case the "runningMode" is "development":
>
>     - ConnURL = "jdbc:derby://localhost:1527/"+ derbyHome;
>     - System.getProperties().put("derby.drda.startNetworkServer","true");
>     - added: try{
>             NetworkServerControl server = new
> NetworkServerControl(InetAddress.getByName("localhost"),1527);
>             server.start(null);}
>             catch (Exception e) { e.printStackTrace();
>             }
>     - driver to use is set to org.apache.derby.jdbc.ClientDriver

Hi Philippe,

I think the code above starting the network server is the cause for the
exception, or the connection string you use.
What do the 'InetAddress.getByName("localhost")' command return? If it
is neither "localhost" nor "127.0.0.1", the connection string
"jdbc:derby://localhost:1527/..." will not work.
Say the hostnamed returned is "philippe", then you must use the
connection string "jdbc:derby://philippe:1527/...".
These observations concern the client driver, not the embedded driver.

Double check what the network server is started with, or just hard-code
"localhost" to see if that fixes the problem. If the problem goes away,
you can adjust your code accordingly.

--
Kristian