db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Stanley Bradbury <Stan.Bradb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [WWD] Chap 1 and 2 (v 1.1) submitted for review
Date Fri, 10 Mar 2006 18:45:13 GMT
yeradis wrote:

> well its very important the opinions i had read  here to increment the
> cuality of the work of stanley
> i think he is doing a great job that i personilly thanks (i'm new to
> derby)
>
> my personal opinion stanley:
>
> but its true that is a bit far from be an introductory material
> its true that is the begining and will have some changes that will be
> aprecciated
> but i personally think that your work stanley will be more accepted ,
> digested
> by newberby people LIKE ME ;-) if your work  base on a tutorial case
> i mean that you enumerate each line you write of the examples and then
> explain the meaning of each line one by one
> i know  is more work but there are more than 1000 people that are
> windows user (me one of then) that want to migrate to derby world and
> don't find the console/terminal  a great place to work (like me :-s ,
> windows is killing us :-p ) is a bit hard accomodate to a terminal
> when you only knows buttons ;-)
> inside a java code no problem , we all are programmers ;-) but outside
> having a terminal workspace to do all , to some windows user (me me me
> :-D )  is so frustrated
>
> ah and referent to uppercase or lower case thats really is a candy
> you only need to specificate your style at the begining of the book
> i mean somthing like this :
> sql sentences will be bold and blue to the rest of book
> berby command will be gray and itally
>
> i say this because the font style and color have an effect on the mind
> that is probed on pedagogical field
> and i think you can abord this tools too to have a better efect ;-)
>
> i  hope this opinion serve to something ;-) differente destination of
> a trash :-p
>
> thanks stanley for your work
>
> =====  SNIP  ================

Hi Yeradis -
Thank you very much for taking the time to send me your suggestions.  I
see value in both suggestions.   Please look at the following summary to
see if  I have missed in any important points:

1) Improve the link between the command descriptions that preceded each
Activity Sequence [per your suggestion:  '..enumerate each line you
write of the examples and then explain the meaning of each line one by
one..'].
NOTE: Because some people want to get directly to issuing commands I
decided early on to separate the meaning/description of each line from
the actual command examples.  This is why the descriptions are in the
bulleted list that precedes each activity section rather than
interspersed with the commands.  I will add to the descriptions so it is
clearer which command line(s) the bullet is talking about - number the
lines might work.

2) Differentiate between the commands, types of commands and command
results (output) by font, color or some other means:  [per your
suggestion: '..specificate your style at the begining of the book i mean
somthing like this :
sql sentences will be bold and blue to the rest of book berby command
will be gray and itally..']
 NOTE:  I probably will not use color because color is lost when the
document is printed on a black ink printer but I am sure I can do
something with the font to make this clearer.