db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Stanley Bradbury <Stan.Bradb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: derby for dummies ???
Date Thu, 09 Mar 2006 19:10:39 GMT
yeradis wrote:

> i'm looking documentations on derby
> with and style of that books appeling to dummies
>
> something like Derby for Dummies :-p
>
> i can't  write that article style because i'm a newbie on derby
> i need that
> i'm trying to do that
> i'm had terminated  the first chapter called SQL in 10 minutes
> terminating now second called  Derby System Tables like a candy
>
> but i'm curious is there a manual similar this?
> if there is please tell me to download it
>
> sorry by my english
>
> derby is killing me :-p ;-) :-DDD

Hi Yeradis -
 From the number of responses you have gotten I'd say the people on this
list are your best bet for getting 'Derby for Dummies' type
information.  I wrote a pretty basic article introducing Derby last year
- it is available on-line at:
http://www.linux-mag.com/content/view/2134/  -- let me know if this is
helpful.
You need to register to view the article but there were no fees the last
time I looked.

Also, as Rajesh mentioned, take a look at the preliminary drafts of Ch 1
and Ch 2 of Working With Derby [WWD] - it is intended to get people
using Derby as quickly as possible.  It can be downloaded with this

Please let me know how these sections could be made more helpful.  WWD
is still a work in progress and I would greatly appreciate you sharing
your opinions with me.  NOTE:  The examples in WWD use syntax that is
currently only available in the Derby development trunk (syntax added
for version 10.2).  Most the syntax should be supported in the *Version
10.2 alpha snapshot.  *Let me know if you need help converting this to
version 10.1 syntax.

Lastly,  I am very interested in know more about your comment:     "
derby is killing me :-p ; "
The 'killing me' experience is exactly what I want to help avoid with
the WWD document.