db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: [WWD] Chap 1 and 2 (v 1.1) submitted for review
Date Tue, 07 Mar 2006 04:16:15 GMT
Stanley Bradbury wrote:
> I've submitted Chapters 1 and 2 of the Work With Derby [WWD] document
> for feedback.  These sections are based on the version 1.1 proposal
> submitted last week.  You can download the formatted PDF document for
> review and comment using the following URL.
>
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12323814/workingwithderby0306.pdf

You're making excellent progress! I put a few notes below with stuff I
noticed off the top.

> I am also asking for feed back in the following areas (support for or
> alternatives to) :
> 2) Referencing the Derby installation file path.  I see setting and
> using the environment variable DERBY_HOME (currently called
> DERBY_INSTALL) to indicate the filesystem path to the DERBY installation
> as the best way to provide command syntax examples (e.g.   java -jar
> $DERBY_HOME/derbytools.jar ij)
> With the changes made by DERBY-1019 is one of the few 'setup' steps that
> remain before launching into IJ.
> Is there a better way?

(1) Since #2 in your point above mentions a concern about DERBY_HOME, I
noticed that pdf page 5 (printed page 3) mentions DERBY_HOME, but the
first mention on page 5 could be removed, delaying it a page.

(2) Also I wonder if this phrase about posting to derby-user on pdf page
5 should be removed:

  A response is typically received within a few hours....

Realistically we can't guarantee such a quick response, especially
considering time zones around the world, and it might be better to not
raise expectations.

(3) pdf page 6 (printed page 4) says "preform" when I think "perform"
was meant:

  "The commands in this Activity Sequence preform the following operations:"
  "6. Preform a qualified select of the record with column ID=20"

(4) pdf page 6 (printed page 4), step 8 shows the "shutdown=true"
command. Since Activity 1 shows embedded use and "exit" in an embedded
environment automatically performs that shutdown=true
(http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/dev/tools/rtoolsijcomref33358.html), I
wonder if you could delay showing that syntax and the error that gets
produced until the next activity with the client driver.

again, excellent progress!

regards,

-jean