db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Yan Ma <popof...@yahoo.com.cn>
Subject Re: Re: How to get call a java procedure that returns a value?
Date Sun, 26 Mar 2006 03:48:02 GMT

Many thanks for your reply!         However I may not present my question clearly.      In
derby 10.1, we usually get returned values through OUT parameters.  My question is can we
get a return value through the java methods' return value?         1. I wrote a simple JAVA
METHOD that RETURNS a int value:    public class Simple {     public static int returnint(int
id){    return id * id;   }  }         2. Generated a jar file, installed it and modified
database classpath.         3. Created a procedure named RETURNINT like the following:  CREATE
PROCEDURE RETURNINT (IN ID INTEGER) PARAMETER STYLE JAVA LANGUAGE JAVA MODIFIES SQL  DATA
EXTERNAL NAME 'Simple.returnint';         4. Invoked it from java code:   // invoke the procedure
RETURNINT, expected result is 2*2 = 4.   callStmt = con.prepareCall(? = CALL RETURNINT (2));
        5. Then I got the exception:  ERROR 42Y03: 'RETURNINT' is not recognized as a function
or procedure.   at
 org.apache.derby.iapi.error.StandardException.newException(Unknown Source)   at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.compile.StaticMethodCallNode.bindExpression(Unknown
Source)   at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.compile.JavaToSQLValueNode.bindExpression(Unknown Source)
  at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.compile.ResultColumn.bindExpression(Unknown Source)   at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.compile.ResultColumnList.bindExpressions(Unknown
Source)   at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.compile.RowResultSetNode.bindExpressions(Unknown Source)
  at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.compile.DMLStatementNode.bindExpressions(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.compile.DMLStatementNode.bind(Unknown Source)   at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.compile.ReadCursorNode.bind(Unknown
Source)   at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.compile.CursorNode.bind(Unknown Source)   at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.GenericStatement.prepMinion(Unknown
Source)   at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.GenericStatement.prepare(Unknown Source)   at
 org.apache.derby.impl.sql.conn.GenericLanguageConnectionContext.prepareInternalStatement(Unknown
 Source)   at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedStatement.execute(Unknown Source)   at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedStatement.execute(Unknown
Source)   at com.ibm.wbiserver.relationshipservice.test.TestLoadRelationship.test(TestLoadRelationship.java:322)
  at com.ibm.wbiserver.relationshipservice.test.TestLoadRelationship.main(TestLoadRelationship.java:386)
    A similar exception happens if I run the code:    callStmt = con.prepareCall(? = CALL
APP.RETURNINT (2));       I have checked sys.sysaliases, sys.sysfiles, my jar file and procedure
do exist.

Rajesh Kartha <kartha02@gmail.com> wrote:
Here is a very simple example of returning an INT from a Java Stored
Procedure:

In this case, the SP takes in an int and adds '100' to it.

Implementation:
---------------
public class MyProc {
public static void retIntegerValue(int i1[], int i3) {
i1[0]=i3+100;
}
}

Creating the Stored Procedure:
-------------------------------
drop procedure retIntVal;
CREATE PROCEDURE retIntVal(OUT a INT, IN b INT) PARAMETER STYLE JAVA
LANGUAGE JAVA EXTERNAL NAME 'MyProc.retIntegerValue';

Invoking it from your code:
----------------------------
CallableStatement op1 = connCS.prepareCall("CALL retIntVal(?, ?)");
op1.registerOutParameter(1, Types.INTEGER); //Important
op1.setInt(2,24); //Provide the input value
op1.execute();
int newi=op1.getInt(1);
System.out.println("New Int value = "+newi);

Output:
--------
New Int value = 124

More info available at: