db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Ryan P Bobko <r...@ostrich-emulators.com>
Subject advice for client/server application
Date Wed, 22 Mar 2006 23:19:55 GMT
Hi List,
First of all, I can't say enough how impressed I've been with Derby. Every
time I've thought this embedded wouldn't be able to do something I expect
from a "full-blown" database (nested selects, correlated subqueries, stored
procedures, you name it), it's suprised me. I love it.

This isn't strictly a Derby question, but I'm hoping for some advice or
suggestions with how to procede. I've been working on an application that is
a sort of half-database, half-FTP client/server setup. The protocol I've
implemented between the client and server lets the app do things like run
queries, but also move files around based on those results. Or insert rows
into the database based on where files have moved to. Files can be moved from
the server to client and vice versa.

Things have been working just fine, except that when I run queries, the server
process does all the work and returns the results as a vector of string
arrays. It's never sat well with me--and as you can imagine--now that the
dataset is getting pretty big (120.000-4KB rows returned for some queries),
I'm using too much memory.

What I'd like to do is get my jdbc connection object onto the client so I
don't have to "package" everything up when returning resultsets. The question
is how?  My first idea was to just use derby's network server and write the
file protocol separately, but I'd prefer to stick with just one socket if I
can.

Advice? Thanks for your time.
ry

--
Technological progress has merely provided us with more efficient means
for going backwards.