db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Bernt M. Johnsen" <Bernt.John...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: SQL Exception
Date Wed, 01 Mar 2006 19:21:08 GMT
> I have to say I don't understand the rationale for throwing an
> exception here. Looking at the stack trace, I agree with Bernt that
> the user is calling setObject(column, null). What I don't agree with
> is that there is any ambiguity as to what the user means.
>
> The setObject javadoc sez:
>
> The JDBC specification specifies a standard mapping from Java Object
> types to SQL types. The given argument will be converted to the
> corresponding SQL type before being sent to the database....This
> method throws an exception if there is an ambiguity, for example, if
> the object is of a class implementing more than one of the interfaces
> named above.

I actually agree with Craig that there is no ambiguity "as to what the
user means" (at least if the null was intentional and not a bug).

But formally Java "null" and SQL "NULL" is two different concepts. In
addition, the tutorial (3.0 ed.) has the same interpretation as me.

Sun Microsystems, Trondheim, Norway