db-derby-user mailing list archives

From yves pielusenet <yvespieluse...@free.fr>
Subject Re: [SHUTDOWN] Should I shutdown embedded data base ?
Date Thu, 30 Mar 2006 07:57:50 GMT
Le mercredi 29 mars 2006 à 09:35 -0800, Stanley Bradbury a écrit :
> yves pielusenet wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >I'm newto Derby. My application connecte and create a database using
> >driver "org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver" and url
> >"jdbc:derby:/my/path/to/database;create=True".
> >I do my inserts, commit and at the end I do myConnection.close().
> >All works fine :)
> >But I have just seen that there is a shutdown option. Should I use
> >this ?
> >
> >thanks :)
> >
> >--
> >Yves piel
> >

> Yes.  Shutting down the database insures that all transactions are
> completed and puts a CHECKPOINT record in the transaction log that
> allows a quicker startup when the database is booted next (Derby will
> know that no rollback recovery is needed).

Thank you for your answer :)
So, since I use an embedded database, should I use the shutdown command
(database shutdown nor derby shutdown) everytime I do
Connection.close() ? (an if so, why derby connection close command call
itself database;shutdown=true commande ?)

And a the very end of my application I do a derby shutdown
DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:derby:cs;shutdown=true");

that's right ? :)

--
Yves piel