db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Michael Hackett <mhac...@randomsample.org>
Subject Re: Loading Unicode in ij SQL
Date Sun, 12 Mar 2006 23:57:10 GMT
On Fri, 2006-10-03 at 20:28 -0800, Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> Michael Hackett wrote:
> > Is there some other way to specify non-ASCII characters in SQL scripts
> > for ij?
>
> I don't believe ij is limited to ascii characters, it uses java streams
> and readers.
>
> If you can create a file that contains the script you want with the
> greek characters and load that into ij using the correct encoding then
> everything should work fine.

I'm trying to avoid inserting extended characters into text files, as
some editors we use mess them up, and over a remote terminal, I can't
seem to insert them. Anyway, my solution was to define a function that
calls a method in Apache Commons-Lang that does exactly what I needed:

create function unescapeJava( str varchar(255) )
    returns varchar(255)
    language java
    external name
        'org.apache.commons.lang.StringEscapeUtils.unescapeJava'
    parameter style java
    no sql
    returns null on null input;

Now I can create strings with Unicode characters like so:

   values (unescapeJava('\u00B5'))

And then I drop the function at the end of the script.

Perhaps that will be of some use to others in the same situation.

Cheers,
-- Michael