db-derby-user mailing list archives

From tom <thomas.vat...@network-inventory.de>
Subject Re: clustered index
Date Tue, 28 Feb 2006 20:48:02 GMT
Øystein Grøvlen <Oystein.Grovlen@...> writes:

> Thomas Vatter wrote:
>
> > A clustered index should be the fastest access for retrieving ordered
> > columns. 'Create index' command does not yet support it. Since ordering
> > is my main problem at the moment I post this as request for enhancement.
>
> What do you mean by a clustered index?  It usually means an index on
> primary key where records are stored witin the index, but I am not quite
> sure that is what you mean since one would not use 'create index' for a
> clustered index.  Do you a composite index?  I thought Derby supported that.
>
> --
> Øystein

I mean an index that kept up to date on disk permanently. This is the definition
that I know from the time I was using Informix Online. The syntax was 'create
clustered index ...'. I don't mean to put it on the primary key as SQL-Server
does, but having the possibility to create one would be helpful.

tom