db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Andre Höing <andre...@upb.de>
Subject Re: Derby with fast transactions?
Date Tue, 21 Feb 2006 14:13:51 GMT
Hi all,

Thanks for all the answers.

> Dyre.Tjeldvoll@... wrote:
>
> >Andre Höing <andrehoe@...> writes:
> >

> >>Hi derby-users,
> >>
> >>I am using derby to save lots of RDFTriples at starting time. This is a
> >>little bit too slow for me.
> >>Is there the possability to accelerate this. Bevore I used MySql with
> >>the MyISAM engine. Is there a simular engine for derby, too?
> >>

> >Not a similar engine, but you can set a property (can't remeber the
> >exact name, see the manual (tuning guide, I think)), that will let
> >transactions commit without flushing the log to disk. Must be used
> >with great care though, since you won't be able to do recovery.
> >

> The property is derby.system.durability=test
> http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/dev/tuning/rtunproperdurability.html

I tried the durability property, but I have not seen any improvement.

I started my Application with argument: -Dderby.system.home and the new home
directory has been created. I put there a file named derby.properties with the
derby.system.durability=test entry.
I also tried
Properties p = System.getProperties();
p.put("derby.system.durability", "test");

Is this the wrong way to activate the property?

Has someone another idea to improve speed?
I have only one table with columns:

Subject varchar(255)
Predicate varchar(255)
Object varchar(255)
received BIGINT
timeout BIGINT
birthday BIGINT

Every time i get a single triple or a group of them from another node in the
network (a DHT Network), I have to check if I already saved a Triple with that
Subject Predicate and Object and if not I have to insert it.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Andre